How Does Concrete Sealer X-2 Function? Concrete Sealer X-2 is an effective concrete sealant but like cement itself, it yields the best results to those who thoroughly understand how it works: When dry cement is mixed with water, the cement particles begin to dissolve and react to form a calcium silicate hydrate (C-S-H). The volume of C-S-H is greater than the original unhydrated cement particles, so as C-S-H form it fills in porosity, providing strength and rigidity to the cement. Another by-product of cement hydration is calcium hydroxide. The presence of calcium hydroxide adversely affects the properties of cement because it is attacked by acids and other chemicals. It also trends to crystalize as hexagonal platelets near the paste/aggregate interface, resulting in a poorly packed (i.e. low density) weak area. Applying Concrete Sealer X-2, however, reduces the amount of calcium hydroxide near the surface because the silicate reacts with the calcium hydroxide to form C-S-H (see chemical equation below). As a result, the surface is less permeable, more resistant to chemical attack and overall more durable. The C-S-H gel formed from this reaction is insoluble in water and more resistant to acid and other chemical attack. All concrete is porous, although the type and amount of porosity can vary greatly from one concrete to the next. These differences occur because of the water-to-cement ratio, amount of working, quantity and type of aggregate, temperature and various other factors. Depending on its quality, method of placement and curing, a standard concrete can contain a significant percentage of calcium hydroxide which also contributes to porosity when it dissolves. Therefore, it is essential to convert the calcium hydroxide to C-S-H in order to increase the life of the concrete.
- The Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for this product list all handling precautions and required safety equipment and is available upon request from Stone Technologies.
- Concrete Sealer X-2 is completely inorganic and, as such, does not present a hazard such as low flash point or flammability.
- Fresh concrete should be properly cured for a minimum of seven days before Concrete Sealer X-2 is applied.
- The Concrete Sealer X-2 treatment may be satisfactorily applied to clean concrete at any later time.
- Dimensions: 12"Lx12"Wx18"H. Weight: 42 lbs.